Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Thursday, March 06, 2008

readjusting opinion, hillary makes comeback, a poem for my critics

great fun at the show(s) last night; a dealer (poker, that is) whom i have known for 8 years now but he has never been to one of my shows, came last night with his lady friend. for years now i have sat at his tables but he had absolutely no idea of just what i am like on the stage. suffice to say, he was just blown away. i love doing that, taking someone who has gathered a certain opinion of me and completely readjusting it. my persona off the stage is so different than what i project on the stage it is as though i am a different person. not really, i have always thought of my stage presence as 'me magnified' but you get the point.

senator clinton does not quit now does she? the victories in ohio and texas will keep her in the race all the way through to the convention but she has no chance of catching senator obama in the delagate count however, he cannot win enough though to put him over the top so they will go to the convention with the so-called super delagates doing the actual choosing of the nominee. both will have compelling reasons for the s.d.'s to vote for them. (if michigan and florida had not gotten on the bad side of the democratic national committee then hillary would be in the lead) her contention will be that she has proven she can win in the huge states and his will be that he is more electable across the board against mc cain. both will be right.

as a democrat and as one who thinks that we have to win this election not only at the top of the ticket but across the board, my only fear is that the supporters of the loser will not then happily support the winner. we don't need any "bad losers" after the convention. here, once again, i think that obama would be better for the party in general than clinton because he does not have a whole cadre of people out there who already dislike him. (other than the two who constantly write me with attacks on him but those are really attacks on me). with obama at the top of the ticket i think we can shift the balance of power in washington to the left and out of the hands of the neo-cons who have so fucked up the past 7 years.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT: if any of you out there know of the whereabouts of sharon kite, previously of sarasota, tell her to write or call me because i have her book. (she will know what book)

and, incidently, we have dirty hands in south america especially in columbia where we have military "contractors" working with the right wing death squads. all under the cover of "fighting the war on drugs/fighting the war on terrorism." while i don't think armed conflict is going to break out, it is a possibility. columbia is just another one of our dirty little secrets that the government goes to great lengths to disguise. more on that in another post.


A POEM FOR MY TWO FAVORITE CRITICS

one is suicidal
the other is a drunk
my support of obama
has them in a funk

one wants to be a jokerster
the other to be a sage
but what they put forth
is only seething, boiling rage.

not that they can't be funny
not that they can't be wise
but it would help if they were right
it would help by opening their eyes.

the suicidal sage is so brilliant
but can't figure out how to make a living.
lots of excuses of why it can't be done
but it is only bullshit they are giving.

why are they so intent on attacking me?
the answer is really quite ironic
both of them in their personal haze
way down inside, want to be a comic.

here is the difference:
though i would like to be a poet.
deep inside of me
is no poetic talent...AND I KNOW IT!

one is suicidal
other is a drunk
me making people laugh
has them in a funk.



(i should get a great poem in return...stay tuned.)

oh, and one other thing about these two; both of them used to play texas hold-em here but they busted out. i still play texas hold-em and have not busted out. now, the suicidal one will tell me that if rhonda didn't work i couldn't afford to play but truth of the matter is, i was playing texas hold-em in the early 90's and have been making money off it ever since. for a while, i supported me and john and 7 fucking dogs just off my poker winnings because that was all i had for a while. interesting isn't it? i do two things they would like to do but can't and now i am the bad guy with no sense and is wrong about almost everything.

i do not mind open discourse and have over the years changed some of my opinions based on things my readers told me. (that has happened just recently as well) attacks without reasoning does not fit in the catagory of "open discourse." there are several readers who disagree with a lot of my opinions and we have, over time, agreed to disagree but all our commentary back and forth was courteous and civil. (well, one of them called me an ignorant slut but it was in jest)

you can count on me getting response to the comments about poker because both of these people are just dead certain they are not just good but great poker players. (refer here to old homily about proof being in the pudding) maybe they are, maybe they were just unlucky. but maybe not.

one final comment on these two (and you can tell they have gotten under my skin and here is why) when they needed help they came to me and i helped them. i got no thanks nor was i repaid in full. and now they attack me under false names. my oh my.

from here on out, i will ignore them. they can post as much as they want under any name they want. i will not reply.

sorry to drag all of you into this, i will lighten up from here on out. obama is going to win the nomination with me or without me. i probably have converted some over to him but maybe not. the thing about me is that i sometimes wear my feelings on my sleeve. i feel deeply about some things and i am glad i do. feeling deeply about anything can be very good for you, it keeps the blood flowing so to speak. i hope i never lose my capacity to feel deeply, to care, to give a shit, to have my blood run hot. i hope i never end up as a bitter cynic, distrusting everyone, believing no one, loving no one nor no thing, what a horrible way to live that would be.

"the poet knows that he speaks adequately then only when he speaks somewhat wildly, or 'with the flower of the mind'; not with the intellect used as an organ, but with the intellect released from all service and suffered to take its direction from its celestisal life.

"this is the reason why bards love wine, mead, narcotics, coffee, tea, opium, the fumes of sandalwood and tobacco, or whatever other procurers of animal exhilaration."

ralph waldo emerson

have a good day. have some fun. get high. give a shit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a source for some more really great quotes.
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/H._L._Mencken

One in particular, and one of my favorites, fits your latest post rather well...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

- H. L. Mencken

(And yes, the "ignorant slut" line was entirely in jest) :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Ron Shock said...

you know, j.t., i really need to get a collection of mencken's writings; his quotes come up quite often in pieces i read. i am ashamed to admit i have never read of anything of his (he wrote columns, i believe) and i need to remedy that...

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, sir...I shall be more than happy to help. Mencken's a riot.
He's the funniest dead guy I know.

Any advice on how to exchange info outside of open forum?
I'm still planning on seeing you in San Antonio if at all possible.
The free lunch offer is still open if I can make it down there.
You'll have to pose for a photo though. My friend in Atlanta won't believe I met you without one. We've been trading your "Myrtle" jokes for years now.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Ron Shock said...

j.t. write me on the address on this website, hrshock@cox.net, and i will write you back and give you my personal email address. that is what i have done with quite a few of the regulars here on the blog. that way, it is not this open.

ron

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home