Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Friday, April 25, 2008

keating, guns and bob and tom

the keating five was a name given to 5 senators that were involved with charles keating a real estate devoloper in arizona. there were 4 democrats and john mc cain. while mc cain accepted a little over 300k from keating there was no wrong doing that anyone could find on mc cain. he probably got involved because they wanted a republican as well as the four demos to take his cause to congress. keating was involved in a savings and loan scandel that cost the tax payers hundreds of millions of dollars.

while i would like to hang something on johnny mac , in this case, i will have to agree that he did nothing wrong.

was on bob and tom radio this morning and it went great. i have been doing them since they were only local here in inday whereas today they are in dozens of markets. over the last several years i have not done all that well on the show since they wanted everything bing bang boom! and my stlye is not that. today, however, we talked about poker. tom is very interest in the game and therefore they gave me my head and we went down some interesting trails.

for all of you who have written about john mc cain. i bring it up because he brings it up. if he brings it up, then it is fair fucking game. facts are facts and let us not confuse facts with hero worship.

boy, you make one comment about guns and lo and behold we are taking away YOUR GUNS. no, no, no. read again. i asked do you really want us to have the right to carry guns. there is a difference here, guys. i hate to break it to you but there are a whole lot of idiots out there that have clean records and can get a gun BUT HAVE NO BUSINESS CARRYING A GUN IN PUBLIC. a gun for hunting or home protection is one thing. a concealed weapon is quite another. can you say that you are not capable of losing your temper and doing something really stupid, such as, for instance, pulling a gun out. can you say that the guy over there is not capable of losing his temper and pulling a gun out? why would anyone who is not carrying large amounts of money on their person want to carry a gun for anyway? are you so afraid of your fellow man that you feel the need to be armed with deadly weapons? really? are they out to git ya? here, once again, hating to break it to you...but we are all brothers and sisters. why would you want to kill your brother? or your sister?

now, i know that some of you are going to send me some story about how some brave gun toting person stopped a crime. i will then give you the stats on how many idiots managed to shoot themselves and/or their loved ones. hell, cops who carry a gun as part of the job have accidental shootings. and, i might add, police sometimes end up shooting the wrong person or firing dozens of shots at someone at point blank range and misssing. and you think average joe blow is going to be better, more careful, a better shot, better in control of his emotions than our professional police? you think you are?

he waved the gun around and then shot himself in stomach. there you go.

no one is going to take away your guns. relax. lighten up. even better, light up. make love not war. (it is much more fun) put your guns away.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron,
I had never heard of you before, but I was very interested in you after hearing you on Bob and Tom today. Next time you are in the vicinity, I will try and see your show! My old CEO, Bill Foley, was also involved in the savings and loan scandel and now has more billion$s then you can think of! with Fidelity National Financial.
Good Luck

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron, let me break it to you. How is it that you feel you have the right to decide when, where, and IF I have the right to defend myself? Do I wan t the right to carry a gun? Absolutely. Not only do I want it, I have it. The 'right to bear arms'. Heard of it? Whether I am carrying a large amount of money is irrelevant. Is my life worth more when I carry money?

It isn't about whether we 'need' to carry guns. It isn't called a 'bill of needs'. It's a right. 48 states allow some form of concealed carry including Indiana and Nevada. Millions of people are walking around every day carrying a concealed weapon. Where are all of these quick tempered cowboys pulling out their guns and shooting each other and themselves? Let me break it to you again... it doesn't happen.

So instead of going with the facts that law abiding citizens have proven that in fact they can carry weapons without the 'wild west' shootouts, you have to resort of scare tactics and 'what if's'.

By the way, as long as we are breaking things to each other, the criminal are always going to be carrying and they love people like you who want to insure their victims are unarmed and incapable of defending themselves. It makes the criminals life so much easier.

I know logic often never enters the liberal mind and instead they tend to go with feel good solutions that are not solutions at all. In this case however, there are plenty of facts and statistics that show that law abiding citizens with the proper training and background checks can carry a weapon perfectly well and never had a problem.

Facts and logic. Feel free to embrace it.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Sevesteen said...

I'm not sure I want *everyone* to have the right to concealed carry, but it is hard to say that the licensing system that most states have doesn't work. You talk about statistics--Can you find statistics (rather than isolated incidents) that shows that those who are LEGALLY carrying guns are a problem? Keep in mind that there are almost 5 million of us, so if we were a danger there are enough that it will show in statistics. If you look into it, you will find that people with licenses to carry are 5 to 8 times less likely (depending on who's numbers you use, 5 times is the worst I have found) to commit a violent crime or felony.

The licensing system works better than I would expect--People who know they can't control their tempers don't try to get licenses, hotheads usually don't jump through the necessary hoops. Almost everyone I've met who I know has a license (I'm involved in Ohionans for Concealed Carry, so I've met a lot) has been a very calm and confidant person. (Most also have a wicked sense of humor) The biggest exception was a gun store ownere and CCW trainer...I don't think he was dangerous, just an asshole.

As far as carrying large amounts of money--The gun I carry daily is to protect people, not things. I'll hand over my wallet if it means I don't have to shoot someone--I don't own anything a thief can take that I am willing to kill for. I'm not afraid of my house burning, but I keep an extinguisher and smoke detectors. I'm not afraid of a wreck, but I wear a seatbelt or helmet. It is about preparedness, not fear.

When I got my license, I didn't expect to carry much. I got mine for several reasons--So that if I ever did need to carry I could do it legally, so my wife (who had a job that took her alone, on foot in some bad neighborhoods) would get hers, and because I didn't want the politicians to say "We don't need licensing, hardly anyone applies". Since I have the license and the gun, it is hardly any extra effort to put one on when I get dressed.

Most of the time, when a licensed concealed gun comes out for real, the criminal runs away, and no shots are fired. (the lowest number I"ve heard is 80%, more commonly 90-98%)

Police have a horrible record compared to licensed citizens--When they shoot, they are 5 to 10 times more likely to shoot someone they shouldn't have. That's not to pick on cops--Our job is much easier, we know for sure who the bad guy is and if he runs, we get to run the other way. Cops get there later, and they have to figure out who the bad guy is, subdue and arrest him. Some of us are better than cops--I shoot in an IPSC league several times a month. I'm one of the worst there, but I bet I'd do at least as well as the average cop.

The main benefit of legitimate concealed carry isn't in the individual crimes stopped by pointing a gun at someone, it is that the criminals don't know for sure who is a safe target. When states enact "shall issue" concealed carry laws, violent crime goes down, or goes down faster than it was before. (Property crime sometimes rises a bit, as criminals switch from robbery to theft)

I've seen no evidence that the idiot who shot himself had a license or was legal. (He may have been legally carrying in the car, many states allow that without a license) I don't much care though, since he only shot himself.

...and I wish you would have said you were going to be on Bob and Tom, I'd have listened. I used to listen to them back when they still played rock records on vinyl, then again for a few years after they were syndicated.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home