Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Monday, May 26, 2008

i am an idiot at times!

we learn more from our mistakes in poker than we learn from our wins; however, it seems to me that i would learn it the first time i make the mistake and not make the same fucking mistake again. ..... but i did.

i have a pair of 9's and the flop comes 5h 8h 9c. i have obviously flopped top set. bb bets 15 dollars and the next guy raises to 30 dollars and i raise to 50 dollars and the button calls as does the original bettor (big blind) and the first raiser. the next card is the Qd, check, check, i bet 50 dollars and the button goes all in. bb and other guy both fold. i started the hand 100 up and now i am 50 up and like a fool i call. i know the button has either a. a straight to the queen or a smaller set but i put him on the straight. i should have folded but 4 nines pays 500 dollars and that influenced my decision to go ahead and make the draw for the full house.

now that is not the real mistake...the real mistake was not betting them out on the flop. i saw the draws and instead of just taking the money that was in the pot i got greedy and it cost me. i ended up losing 155 today instead of being up 130. stupid, stupid stupid.

YOU GOTTA BET THEM OUT WHEN THERE ARE OBVIOUS DRAWS AND YOU HAVE THE BEST HAND ESPECIALLY ONE THAT COULD IMPROVE!!!

the straight draw, having no hearts in his hand would have thrown it away for a 100 dollar bet on the flop.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

True enough. Better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

I actually have the opposite problem. There are plenty of times I'd be better off letting someone catch up a little, but I've been burned on suck-outs so many times I tend to over push when I flop a strong hand, and in the long run it probably costs me money.

The situation you described also shows the difference between a good read and a good play. I've done the same thing numerous times, called the other guy's hand precisely, but still paid him off. It's pure ego. I think I feel insulted that this guy took my monster hand and, defying long odds, reduced it to rubbish. Or, maybe on a deeply psychological level, I prefer the feeling of being legitimately beat to the humiliating feeling of having him bluff me off a winner.

Either way, the game's more aggravating than golf.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Ron Shock said...

i have a goal each time i sit at a table and that is to play a "perfect game." in my year now of no limit i have done that twice. (i am my biggest critic not only at the poker table but in my comedy) the thing about no limit is that mistakes are so much more costly than at limit; in limit you can make a couple of horrible mistakes during a session and still come out a big winner but at no limit.....

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also the very real possibility that you were screwed all the way around.

Depending on who you were playing, it's incredibly realistic that the button wouldn't have folded to your $100 on the flop.

Granted, you'd rather have a bad beat story than a bad call story, but still I wonder if you'd have actually bet the button off with the $100?

I guess it depends on how good or what style of player he or she was, too.

I suppose an all-in move would have either taken down the pot right there or gotten you a call from whoever was holding a lesser made hand like two pair, a set or possibly A-9, but that also requires knowing quite a bit about this particular table, too.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home