Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

a poker story for the ages

i am in a 10-20 limit game at the mirage when this one happens:

i am on the big blind. the player to my immediate left just cold calls the original ten dollar bet which makes me suspicious because he is such a good player that a. he would not call in first position unless he had a monster hand and b. normally he would raise from that position with a good hand. the player to his left raises to 20 dollars and 5 other players call! it is now back to me, the pot contains 145 dollars. my 10$, 5$ from little blind (folded), 10$ from first caller and 120$ from the raiser and the 5 callers. i now look at my hole cards and they are the ten-eight of clubs, not a good hand but it only costs me another 10$ so i call. the player to my left then re-raises and the player to his left reraises again and everyone calls back to me. so now the pot contains 145 + 20 + 30 + 100 or 295 and it now costs me another 20$ but the pot is so big i have to call so i do. the player to my left then reraises again cpping the betting and everyone calls and so do i. the pot now contains 325 dollars with 8 players each with 40 dollars in plus the 5 dollars from the little blind. and here comes the flop.

7 of clubs, 9 of clubs, jack of clubs. I HAVE FLOPPED THE STONE COLD NUTS! A STRAIGHT FLUSH. no matter what happens from here on out, i cannot be beat. i check. the first bettor bets 10$ and is raised by the next player and i will be damned, everyone calls. i call as does the bettor to my left. now the pot contains 485 dollars.

next card is the ace of diamonds. i check, next player bets 20$ straight into the pot, next player then raises to 40$, next players raises to 60$ and next player raises to 80$ two players fold and by the end of that round we have 6 players who have put another 80$ each into the pot so we are now looking at 965$ in the pot. the last card is the 7 of diamonds making the board:
7c, 9c, jc, Ad, 7d.

i bet, am raised, reraised, reraised, fold, reraised. i call as well as everyone else so we have another 500 in the pot for a total of 1,465 dollars in the pot. here is what everyone had. me straight flush, guy to my left had aces full of 7's, next, nut flush with ace king of clubs, next had 9's full of 7's, next, tens full of 7's and the last guy had FOUR SEVENS! (that guy was counting the money in his head figuring that he was the winner)

the only thing that could have made it better was if i was playing in a room that had a bad beat jackpot.

those kind of hands only happen a couple of times in your life where you have the nuts but a lot of people have really good hands and have to pay you off. lordy, lordy. bring me another one of those.

oh well, got to go find poker game (which, of course, won't be hard) and extract some money from tourists. (hell, they came here to lose anyway)

1 Comments:

Blogger The Rooster said...

Biggest hand I ever won was a straight flush beating out four aces.

I can remember what I was wearing and what my drink tasted like when I won. (Though to be fair, it tasted like warm Miller Lite).

...

Here's a footnote to your personal fitness guru bit, fresh off the AP wire:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_en_ce/people_keith_richards

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home