Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Friday, April 03, 2009

THE COMING BILL HICKS CHRONICLES

what i am going to do is to post on utube some little stories about BILL HICKS that are not in the books nor have i ever heard mentioned in any interview with bill. to be truthful, i am doing for two reasons: a. (and philosophically, the most important) to tell the stories and to do them justice in the telling. b. (most important selfishly) to introduce myself to the hundreds of thousands, if not a million or more, hicks fans. i have never met a hicks fan who didn't like what i do. never. i am no bill nor do i try to be. i'm ron shock and i do me quite well and bill thought i was one funny motherfucker. his fans will too.

bill and i go back to my very first road trip where bill hicks and i do lsd at the second night of the GIG FROM HELL. bill tells that one in an interview that is posted on my website. (and he tells it wrong! he has the town wrong and how it came to be and he doesn't make himself out to be the real hero that he was. he downplays his role. for real. the real story is much better than the way bill tells it.) bill and i were two of the seven comics who became known as the TEXAS OUTLAW COMICS. we did dozens of shows together. we wrote bits together. we had a very strong friendship. i was not, by any stretch of the imagination, his "best" friend, far from it, i was 18 years older than bill and had a life outside of comedy. on the other hand, bill and i did have some fabulous times together, deep conversations together, hallucinogenic experiences together and we liked and respected each other. i spoke to bill the night before he died and on the night he did die, kenny moore and i had a mind boggling experience that we attribute to bill. it's a hell of a story.

bill liked talking to me because i had experienced things that he hadn't; i had been in prison and i was a hot shot in the corporate world. i could talk about places and thoughts and events and feelings and because i can tell a story well, bill was able to grasp the "essence" of what i was saying. for instance: (i think i have written about this one before, but it bears repeating) one night in houston, bill and i were walking my great dane, che dog, (dog of the people!!), and i got to espousing about the money system; silver standard vs. gold standard, federal reserve, banking systems, etc. blah, blah, blah. THE NEXT NIGHT, BILL HICKS WENT ON STAGE AND DID TEN KILLER FUCKING MINUTES ON MONEY! i thought, "you know, i have known that information for 15 years (at that time) and i haven't thought of a single funny fucking thing to say about it yet. (and still haven't)

i'm getting old and if i am going to ever penetrate the american mind, then i am going to have to do it viz the internet. i'm funny and i'm different and, for the most part, nobody knows who i am. i am going to use the net to introduce myself to an already established target market: bill hicks fans. they'll like me.

i have already filmed some of the stories and may keep one or two of the ones i have but really want to tell them over and over and over again until i just nail it. know what i mean?

i've got some great bill stories. stay tuned

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us know when they are up. If they are anything like the stories you normally tell, they will be exceptional.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that you aren't always riveting in your blog, but I have a lot of friends who are going to be thrilled, in particular, to read these. Cheers! -Molly

5:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, the anti-marketing dollar. That's a great market, Ron's very smart!

Can't wait to see the stories.

Cheers,

RS

1:04 PM  
Blogger sincityxingyi said...

I was working as a breakfast pastry cook in San Franciso, and with my odd hours I had no chances to meet girls; so I decided to read some of my old peoms at one of the many open mic poetry readings that are held at coffee shops, dive bars and clubs all around The Bay Area...

... but they laughed at me. Can you imagine? They laughed at my PATHOS !

A few days later I was walking past a coffee house in The Lower Haight, and I heard the sound of laughter. I figured it was some poor, misunderstood poet; so I poked my head in, and ...

... it was STAND -UP COMEDY !!!

I started going to hang out in the studio audience at The Alex Bennett Show, and write jokes instead of poems. I noticed during the commercial breaks that the comedians would often start telling Bill Hicks stories. They spoke of him with such reverence,and respect that I took it upon myself to study Bill Hicks' comedy.

I spent the next ten years (trying) to BE Bill Hicks, but ...

... all I managed was a warmed-over Robert Shimmel.

I know I sound bitter, but I have no regrets! I had a blast, and made a lot of good friends.

My pals and I formed a Sketch Comedy group called THE FRESH ROBOTS and we became a Bay Area favorite. Robin Williams asked us if he could perform at our gigs,and things really took off...

...Managers and producers came up from LA to see us, I was kicked out of the group, and all my friends went on to have succesful carreers in show buisness, ...

... wa wa wa waaaaa.

But I sincerly have no regrets. It was a great experience, and I got to see Ron Shock for free every time he was in town, ...

... and now I have a few stories of my own!

Can't wait to hear some Bill Hicks stories from one of the original "Texas Outlaws".


-m.strong

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sevesteen said...

I'm also looking forward to these stories.

On a somewhat related note, I wish there were some way to get you on XM's Unmasked. Ron Bennington is a great interviewer, especially with comedians and people with less than perfectly legal histories.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Ron Shock said...

sin city, i have a great alex bennet story that i will put in my blog one day.


sevesteen, i KNOW ron bennington. see if you can find a contact number or email and i will get on there. i am leaving tomorrow for two weeks and will not have computer with me.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Sevesteen said...

There's programming@xmradio.com, and ronandfez@aol.com. No idea if a message there actually gets to anyone who cares....

7:27 PM  
Anonymous J.T. said...

I can't wait for this shit. I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Keep us posted.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home