Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

a week of poker

my results for the last 7 sessions and comments there upon:

1. -200 my first day back and in looking back over my records, i find that i lose more often than not on my first day back. it is as i don't have my "timing." my game is off, i make bad calls, play bad cards and play them poorly, a sure fire recipe for heavy losses.

2. + 70 was card dead for most of the session and was behind most of the sessions but just ground it out and walked away a small winner.

3. +40 a repeat of #2. amazing how many cards i threw away these two days. when the cards are not running at all for you, your job is to keep your losses to an absolute minimum, take less chances, get even tighter. wait for that one hand that can pull you out of the hole. your other way to keep them at a minimum is to get up and go when they are just running against you, i will get up and go if someone draws out on me several times. it is not my day, get out. when it is just cards i usually stay because if i am playing right then somewhere along the line i will get my shot more often than not. somewhere, i am going to get dealt a big pocket pair and i am going to raise and my card will come on the flop and ba da boom, ba da bing. i am out of the hole, thank you very much; good night.

4. +410 all made on one hand with quad jacks against full house and nut flush. thank you and good night.

5. - 80 another card dead day and after a little over 4 hours without a peek at a hand, i said, thank you and good night.

6. +872 i started off going almost a hundred in the hole when i failed to bet a guy off his flush draw; he played the hand very poorly and got away with it. he did not get any money on the river because he checked it to me and thought i was going to bet when the 3rd spade came, he was wrong. his mistakes were earlier, he bet the draw and and had to pay off a big raise on the turn (i had trips) plus he was playing little non connected suited cards in early position. i said to myself, 'self, i gonna get this boy." later, he was in hand with me and i had aces, raised 15 and he was the only one who called and the flop came king, king, ten. i checked and he bet and it threw it away and showed my aces. everybody was stunned that i threw away the aces. he said he had the king when the hand was over but whether he did or not makes no difference to me. i didn't have the king, i had 15 in the pot. what do i care? (now understand, i, by this time, was several hundred ahead and the cards were coming my way. he now has got 75 dollars from me on those two hands.) still later, i am on big blind and the pot is raised to 15 and two people call so there is 48 in pot and i peek down and lo and behold aces again! i call the 15 and raise 50 dollars. the original raiser calls and so does my boy. there is now 198 dollars in the pot. flop is Jack, 7, 5, rainbow. my boy has about 300 in front of him and i have about the same. i bet 100 dollars and the orginal raiser mucks so on to my boy and he hesitates and then goes all in. i call and turn over the aces and he had a pair of threes. i won. (i think that because he saw me throw away my aces before that i would throw away whatever i had because of his big bet.) so i got my 75 back from him with 300 dollars interest. there was another guy like that on the table and i got his money too. i got good cards, good flops and people calling down with a worse hand than mine and, guess what? they didn't improve. see it happens like that as well sometimes and during those times, maximize, jack, maximize!

7. +103. sorta of in the middle kinda of day. was down about 35 and hadn't really played in a hand yet and am on the bb with 3-5 off suit and the flop comes 6h, 7h, 4s. i check, it is bet 15 and a caller and then back to me and i make it 40 to go and only the original bettor calls. the turn is the Qd, (perfect!) i bet 75 dollars and goddamn if he don't call. the river is the Jc (perfect again!!) i bet all in and he throws it away. i think he had two pair or a set and finally came to the conclusion that i must have flopped the straight. since there was a bigger straight available (5-8) i figured, correctly as it turns out, that he didn't have it or he would have reraised me on the flop and not let me draw to either a flush or trips.

in case you lost track, the week went this way:
-200
+70 -130
+40 -90
+410 +320
-80 +240
+872 +1,112
+103 +1,215

i fully believe the luck evens itself out and that we all get the same share of good and bad hands. it is how you play them and, in my opinion, even more important how you DON'T play them that seperates the good from the bad and losers from their money. they weren't unlucky. they were bad players. you really don't have to be tricky or clever. you wait for good hands and for fools to pay you off.

i have said this before: almost every time that i lost at a poker table it WAS MY FAULT. i played poorly. when i am playing properly, i know when TO THROW THE MOTHERFUCKERS AWAY! if you know that and practice that you will win at poker. keep the winners, throw the losers away. sounds simple but it is beyond most players.

this is why i don't play bigger games than the 1-2 with a two hundred dollar buy-in at this level, there are fools in these games. i don't have to be good, i just have to be better than they are. bigger games get better players. why play against a table where 5 of my opponents are much better than me when i can play at tables when i am either the best or one of the best two or three at the table? it is the end of october, i have made enough this year for me to pay my house note for 7 and one half months. granted, my house payment is low but it is 7 and one half months that my wife and i were able to put a roof over our head strictly on my poker winnings. this is my first year of playing no limit and i haven't put in more than 350 hours for the entire year. i am encouraged at my results so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home