Shock Thoughts

The San Francisco Chronicle called Ron Shock one of the greatest American storytellers.
He has been called one of the best comics who ever walked on a stage by his peers.
This man will take your mind on a wild ride. Enjoy !!!

Name:
Location: Las Vegas

This is Ron's spot for an ongoing dialog with the world. Updated as frequently as you need...

Monday, October 29, 2007

poker muse

someone asked daniel N. (not even going to try to spell it--fuck, i can't even say it) what were the hardest cards to play in no limit hold-em and he said, "good cards in early position." that is so fucking right. take two fairly good but also dangerous cards, ace-queen off and ace-jack off (and this hand is a jack off hand because it is really fucking dangerous unless you have the top two pair or the straight because anyone that calls you ace flop bet could very easily have you out kicked). if you raise with these two cards from first or second position you are so early in the betting sequence that if you bet big the only ones who call you are either ace-king or ace queen or big pairs or sometimes medium pairs. if you raise small, you still can get too many callers so that unless the flop hits you right on the buttton it surely hit someone else. same would go for just calling with aq or aj in early position and see what devolopes. this problem is the same with big pairs, raise big and you only get called by big hands and so once again you are looking for a good flop. jacks and queens are very dangerous early. if an ace comes and you bet, if you are called you are beat, if an ace comes and you check you open yourself up for someone to just flat ass steal the pot by betting. if you raise big and everyone folds, you win just a big and little blind and in 1-2 that means 3 fucking dollars.

so, in my opinion, how you play good cards in early position has to take into account the make up of the table. no two tables are going to be exactly the same but they can be divided into certain general groupings; passive, aggressive, tricky, straight ahead, bluffers, rocks. can you bully them? will they call you down with a small pair? will they bully you?

i would like to hear from some of you out there who are, as i, hooked on hold-em and ask you how you go about playing ace queen or jack and how do you adjust if they are suited? not only preflop but on the flop and turn. for my part, pussy that i am, i throw away ace jack in first or second position unless suited and then i put in a small raise and cold call with ace queen unless suited and then i do as i would with the aj suited. one of my goals is to keep my losses low and therefore i play very, very tight in early position. however, i could be leaving money on the table. thoughts????

2 Comments:

Blogger DonkeyFishJim said...

Hey Ron - your blog comment is almost identical to mine today. I commented that I spent my last 2 sessions plugging leaks in my game and one of the biggest problems I've had (especially this past Saturday's session) is playing out of position. I felt like I was lost at sea and had no feel for my hands. It seems that I was out of position every single big hand I was in (EP w/ JJ, QQ, KK, AQ) and it really sucked ass - made my life a lot harder than it needed to be at the table.

I've always read that position, position, & position are 3 of the most important elements of NLH, but it never really made a huge impact on me before now. Maybe I'm finally getting more attuned to the game (it's about time!), but I will definitely be taking this lesson to heart.

On a side note: good sushi at the Mirage? I'll give it a whirl - thanks for the tip.

Jim

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to play hands like AQ and AJ aggressively in early position, in spite of the problems you astutely noted. You can often get heads-up with someone playing AK where you both miss the flop, and can then almost certainly win the pot with a big bet. It's quite rare that a player will be insightful enough to raise you back in this situation.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home